Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The sweeping insensitivity of this still life.

Over the past several days, my blog has truly been the "online journal" that it was meant to be. Of course, being that I *just* started graduate school today, I'm not sure how well I will do at keeping this up. I imagine my schedule is going to fill up fairly quickly with reading, studying, conceptualizing, theorizing, reading, writing, and...more reading. 

I've had trouble sleeping lately. During my time as an undergraduate, I really put my body through hell. I didn't eat healthy. I didn't exercise. And I usually went to bed between 1-2 in the morning. As a result, my body got used to this new, and debilitating schedule. Even during my year off from school, I continued going to bed too late. Now, I'm trying to "re-train" my body. I've been trying to go to bed at midnight which to most, still seems too late, but for me it's early. By going to bed at midnight, I can wake up before 11, which is progress. Ideally, I would like to align my internal clock with the normal, outside world and actually go to sleep at a decent hour and wake up at 9 (or earlier if needed). But alas, my efforts are proving more difficult. I can't fall asleep earlier than 1 and when I try, I just lie in bed, wide awake. It's mind-numbingly frustrating. I'm going to try reading in bed (hell, I should just read one of my textbooks!). I know it will take time, but I'm hoping I can get my body to want to SLEEP before midnight because these restless and sleepless nights are killing me. In addition, it probably doesn't help that I have several football fields worth of information in my brain at the moment. 

My new sleep-schedule caused my sister to go into freak-out mode last week. She called me around 11pm to chat, which for us, is a normal time to talk, and I didn't answer. She texted me (several times), and I still didn't reply. Reason being, I was in bed and my cell was on silent. I actually got to sleep relatively early that night, but Ash didn't know. She, of course, thought the worst had happened to me. Now that I no longer live at home, she can't call mom or dad to verify my whereabouts. And I'm over 1000 miles away which doesn't help alleviate any stress or concern. 

Tomorrow, I plan to blog about my "first day" as a graduate student, but now, I have a date with the sandman.

3 comments:

  1. Here are my thoughts, do with them what you will. :)

    1. Set your alarm to get up at 9, if you are not waking up at that time. This will force you to get up, instead of letting your body sleep in, which is what it is used to.
    2. Take that textbook to bed! I read every night before bed (usually recreational) but it usually (not always) helps my brain to focus on the story and leave all the other shit in the background.
    3. My opinion: Now that you are FAR away from home, don't do the silent phone thing. You should have an open line of communication to your parents/sister. At least keep it on vibrate.

    Can't wait to hear about your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Smash for all your ideas! O, and my phone was actually on vibrate, but it's the softest vibrate EVER so it's barely audible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I immediately reverted back to the day when you were 2.5 and decided it would be fun to go hide in a rack of clothes at the mall. Can you say... heart attack?!! Good luck with that new sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete