Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Throw a stranger an unexpected smile...with big intention.

I woke up today with the worst headache. Now I know I'm starting to get back into "school-mode." A headache is one way my body reacts to stress. After attending my first class as a graduate student, my worst fears were affirmed. My career as a graduate student is going to constantly force me outside my comfort zone, engaging in activities such as public speaking and class discussions. All things, I know, should be mastered in order to be successful. But this fact doesn't make those "things" any easier. My Research Methods professor is funny and thank goodness for that, because research methods isn't what I would call a "scintillating" subject. I met Dr. Duffy back in April when I visited Rutgers, in hopes that meeting faculty members would help in my decision-making process (and it did just that). During my meeting with him, he put on this mask, a mask he got during one of his trips to Japan:


Yep. That's one of my professors. And he actually kept the mask on for part of our meeting. His class is going to be challenging, but considering it is graduate school, it's not meant to be easy. In his class, I have to do a mini thesis, with a thesis proposal to the class in about a month. Despite it being at a much smaller scale than an actual Masters thesis, I still have to come up with a topic, find subjects, collect data, record results, write a paper (15 pages), and present my findings to the class. For one of my other classes, Intro to Psychological Science, we have a project as well, and it's a bit more tedious. Presentations are 35 minutes and they start in 3 weeks! Our paper is 20 pages long. Our topics are due this coming Tuesday and I have NO idea what I want to do. 

5 comments:

  1. You will be fine! It is a lot of work, but you can do it. Just be thankful you aren't juggling 2 part-time jobs, an internship AND school. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea....I'll be juggling two part time jobs (one is my FWS), my thesis and school. ]:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes. A Thesis is a job. I had no clue you were doing a FWS. Where are you working?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be working as a research assistant for two different professors in the psychology department. One being Dr. Mamorstein whose interests are clinical-based and one other professor (not sure who yet?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous! Very, very beneficial to your learning. I wish I could've landed such a position but the social work dept doesn't offer them.

    ReplyDelete