Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello 2009, Goodbye Jetta.

Happy New Year to everyone! With a new year, comes new year's resolutions. I'm not sure I've ever actually formulated a list of resolutions. I'm sure it's because deep down I know the list would get lost in one of my many piles of papers and never looked at again. With that said, what do you hope to accomplish, change, or begin this new year? Do you...need to lose a few pounds? Would you like to start eating healthier? Or do you need to get organized? Perhaps spend more time on YOU. Whatever it is, I hope you truly work towards reaching your goals!

In other news, I got a new car on Tuesday! The decision to say goodbye to my Jetta crept up on me quicker than I had planned for. Dad mentioned I should trade in my car at about 90,000, which it was at now (another thing that happened too quickly thanks to my weekly drives to Orlando and drives to Wesley Chapel multiple times a week for work). Dad wanted my car to be in good enough condition to trade in for a reasonable amount of money. So, a few days before Christmas, dad and I visited Honda and Mazda dealers in Brandon. We looked at the Honda Civic and Mazda 3, both comparable to one another and comparable to my Jetta, except for the fact that neither of them are diesel which my Jetta was. I welcome with open arms never having to search for a gas station that has diesel gas. On the other hand, I do not look forward to my average 21-23 mpg car. My Jetta averaged about 43 mpg. Before even looking at cars with my dad, he had visited both dealers. He told me he knew I would prefer the Mazda 3 right away and he knew I would ultimately choose that car over the Civic and he was right. He knows that few things matter to me in a car- mainly, I care about the sound system and the aesthetics (do I like the way it looks?). Of course, I need to feel comfortable driving the car and it needs to drive smoothly as well. We decided on the Grand Touring, Mazda 3 Automatic. It's black with black leather interior and a 6 CD changer, jack for my iPod, moon roof, the works. Dad knows me well and knows that I would appreciate all the bells and whistles and miss them if I didn't have them. One of the greatest things about my new car- everything is automatic. And I mean everything. The wipers are rain-sensing, so with a drop of rain they will turn on. My lights- also automatic, so I don't have to worry about turning them on at night. 


Somehow, I will be paying my dad back for this car. Seeing how it's my second, and he paid for my first as well, it is how it should be. I will be paying a percentage of my bi-weekly paycheck to him and that will go towards my car payments. I'm very lucky to have a family willing to buy me a new car when it wasn't an absolute necessity (IE: my car breaking and not running anymore).

The car drives SO differently than what I am used to. I'm used to a diesel, or as I affectionately called my car, the "putt-putt" since it sounded like a lawnmower once up and running. The Mazda has incredible pick-up which for me, could be potentially dangerous as I'm notorious for having a lead foot. It's handling is a lot more sensitive than my Jetta and it's a easier drive. Passengers' heads are still hitting their head rests, as I'm still getting used to how lightly I need to touch the gas pedal to accelerate. I feel like I'm learning how to drive all over again! All that's left are some all-weather mats and window tinting which will hopefully happen soon as the Florida heat is not kind to black cars with black interiors. Regardless, I had my heart set on a black car for my next vehicle so no words of logic or wisdom were going to change my mind. Sorry, mom, dad, AND sister. ha.

I'll be posting pictures of my car shortly. I know Dee is dying to see it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Well at least I can take a breath now! I'll be watching for pictures little missy....


    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so very happy for you!! Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete