Friday, May 8, 2009

She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers...

I've been a bad blogger. Over a month since I blogged last...

Since then, a lot has happened. I've come to a number of realizations. Some, about people in my life- those who have been active or mere passive observers. I was prepared to write more in regards to this, but I've decided it best not to. I will say this, I realize that no one is perfect, and no relationship is perfect. We all have flaws and I can recognize that I have plenty. 

I'm preparing for a new stage in my life. Early this year I applied to several graduate programs in Boston, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. I was accepted to all but one (wait-listed there), and was absolutely elated when I was accepted to my #1 choice! Based on the reactions of Ph.D. students and professors at UCF, it was apparent Rutgers was the best school I had applied to. It has the finest reputation and is known for its Psychology program and efforts in research. I was 1 of about 15 students accepted into the program. The size of the program is one of the reasons I chose Rutgers. The faculty is another- they have fantastic credentials! With such a small number of incoming students, I will be able to receive one on one attention and each student gets to chose a faculty advisor. In addition, the program is centered around your thesis and as will most of my classes. The emphasis on research will prepare me for application to a Ph.D. program and this is Rutgers' Masters program primary purpose- to prime a student for entry into a doctoral program. 

I will be moving in a little over 3 months and for the first time in my life, I will be more than 2 hours away from my family. In August, I will be moving to New Jersey (or Pennsylvania, not sure yet). Several states over (or in this case, several states north), the prospect of living so far from my family is scary. Times when I'm in trouble and need help, I no longer will have the option of hoping in my car and driving to see them and they will not have the option of doing the same. But, it's OK. I need to learn to be independent, even more than I am now. And I need to learn to do (more) things on my own. I did pretty well as an undergraduate, and I'll do fine as a graduate student. It will take some adjusting and learning, but I'm ready. Other than my family and a small group of friends, there's little more that I like about Florida. When applying to graduate schools, I didn't apply to one in state school. I have never considered Florida my home, nor have I ever felt a connection to Florida. The things which define Florida: beaches, the heat, being outside, 10 months of summer, etc. are not things that I like. I like the outdoors...if it's cool out. I prefer nature, if it's on a mountainside, not a beach. I love the city, and Philladelphia is no exception. I visited Philly for the first time last month and loved it. It has entertainment, shopping, and restaurants galore and is one of the most historical places in the United States, which is an added bonus. I am definitely a city girl. 

Ideally, I would like to live in Center City, but with each passing day, it seems less likely. As a graduate student, I don't think it will be feasible, and my dad is not supportive of the idea of me, a girl in her early twenties, living alone in a big city like Philladelphia. Also, parking and the cost to live in the city are also issues. I don't plan to live in Camden, where my program is located, but I'm trying to remain open to other cities in New Jersey. 

Now that applying to graduate schools, writing personal statements, and speaking to people at admissions offices will no longer monopolize my time, I should be able to update my blog more...stay tuned for new developments! 

2 comments:

  1. Have I told u that I am extremely proud of you? I can NOT believe that the lil girlie girl I had in 2nd and 3rd grade has grown into such fine young woman.

    Luv and huggles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that your updates don't come through for me on the Dashboard! However, I am so proud of you and this is SUCH an amazing accomplishment! I know you will go on to do amazing work in your field and I can't wait to hear of your updates. This is a new period beginning in your life and I am so happy that you doing it. *squeeze*

    ReplyDelete