Friday, October 30, 2009

I went to Borders this evening. Finding one that wasn't a Borders Express in a mall was more challenging that I had anticipated. Two Borders later, a call to directory assistance, and much yelling at my GPS ("re-calculating" ringing in my ears), I found one. I had initially planned to buy several books, but after much consideration, I came to the sad conclusion that, right now, I have no time to read anything other than psychology journal articles. So I left, no books in hand, but instead, a few ned CD's. Holiday, of course. With that said, I have quite a "want" list of books. Naturally, I went straight to the Bestsellers wall and came across a title that caught my eye, "What the Dog Saw." Much to my excitement (nerdy, yes) I recognized the author of the book from a short clip I watched in my Graduate Research Methods class. Then, I realized that this book was not his first, but he has written several other, very well known books that have made it to the National Bestseller list. Outliers, The Tipping Point, and Blink. He is a very intelligent, dynamic, and funny man, so I imagine his books are equally as engaging. And so my list of books begins...

Book Wish List:

- The Political Brain by Drew Westen
- Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics (I went and saw one of the authors at the free library in Philly last week) by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
- What the Dog Saw, Blink, and Outliers- all by Malcolm Gladwell (Staff writer of The New Yorker magazine)
- The Intellectual Devotional- Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Digest a Daily Dose of Wellness Wisdom
- Forty Studies that Changed Psychology: Explorations into the History of Psychological Research

My list will continue to grow over the coming months. I know I want to read some of David Sedaris' books as well.

1 comment:

  1. MALCOLM GLADWELL IS THE BOMB!!! :) We talk of him often in my classes. This is a great lecture of his: http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/video-gain-2008-gladwell

    ReplyDelete