Wednesday, November 12, 2008

MS Crop for Hope- Part I

My Class


This past weekend was the 3rd annual MS Crop for Hope hosted by Jackie Durning, my 2nd and 3rd grade teacher. I've known her for 15 years and we have stayed in contact the whole time. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis several years ago and has made it her mission to raise awareness and money for the cause. The crop was a weekend event in Sebring at the Kenilworth Lodge- a place I'm very familiar with and very fond of. It's a historic hotel and has a great deal of character and I love when I get to visit for crops. The first time I went to the Kenilworth Lodge was pre-MS Crop for Hope when Jackie and Miami Dawn were planning yearly Florida Scrappers events. It's been years since then as I still had blond hair and braces. 

I had the pleasure of teaching my first ever scapbooking class this past weekend. I've been dragging my feet a bit when it comes to teaching a class. Ask anyone close to me, they'll say they have been trying to convince me to teach a class for 2 years. I was supposed to teach a class at last year's MS Crop as well as on a cruise.  I'm not sure what kept me from jumping right in and playing teacher. Some might argue a lack of confidence in my work and ability as an artist/scapbooker. And you would be right. It is part of the reason in addition to a general fear of teaching a class, planning a class, etc.  Having now taught my first class I was given the great pleasure of receiving assistance, advice, tips, and guidance from one wonderful group of ladies, businesswomen, and scapbookers. I appreciate you all. Without you, this would have NOT been possible. I stumbled in a few places on the way, but everything worked out in the end. I was given some great advice which I will absolutely be applying to my next class. Yes, there will be more.  According to those who took my class, it was a success. True, I had some weary-eyed students at the end- my class took about 5 hours and a good portion of it was spent cutting (I warned you all!). In my defense, it was a huge undertaking, especially for my first class- an 18x24 canvas, jam-packed with cutwork, painting, and loads of embellishments. What I liked most is many of my "students" said my project forced them to think outside the box and leave their comfort zone and that's great! Isn't that what it's all about? Besides not having enough foam brushes (sorry Dawn), everything else went smooth as silk. I taught everyone how to use bubble wrap and paint to add texture and visual interest to an otherwise flat (in color) canvas.  I also watched my dear friend and fellow scrapbooker (so glad to have you back, Dee) finish her first ever class project. She's taken many a class in the past, always returning home with an unfinished project. Not this time. With my help (and prototype) Dee was able to finish it and boy was she thrilled! You go girl! My class sold out and had I not required that everyone bring their own 8x10 photo to the class, I think I could have had more. I was blessed to have the support of many of my closest friends just inches from me during my class. Many signed up simply to show their support (despite my colors not matching their house). How great is that? Everyone really made my class a great "first" and great experience. Thank you girls!

To my students, thank you all for hanging in their for my class. All of your canvases look beautiful. Each canvas had a little of their creator's own personality. And each canvas differed just slightly from the next. I love that! I loved seeing everyone's finished work, because I know how much time and effort it took.  Roz and Kelcey, you skipped another class so you could finish mine- how amazing! To my Plant City gang- thank you for your steady stream of compliments and words of encouragement. I love you. Stacey, thanks for my crash course on how to use my camera and everything related to cameras, aperture (I'm pretty I still don't know what that means), exposure, f-stops, etc. It all sounds greek to me, but I appreciated your expertise. So, can we plan to do that again (maybe again, several times) sometime soon? I need it. Desperately. Dawn, aka my advocate, publicist, marketing advisor (I could go on)- you were one of the first to ever try and convince me to put my work out there for the world to see. I so appreciate all your words of wisdom, your direction, and great advice. I truly appreciate it. You're a gem and I'm happy to know you. I'll keep you posted on everything scrap-related. I'm hoping for some new developments in the coming months. Gerri-anne, thank you for helping me get my supplies for my class. You went above and beyond the call of duty by searching additional places to get the remaining papers for me that were sold out at BG. The fact that you were willing to spend some of your time, which I might add is so precious considering all the things you have on your plate (you ARE wonder woman by the way) was such a comfort and alleviated some of the stress associated with planning my class. And finally, Dee. I was so happy to [finally] see you and spend some quality time with you this weekend. See, even with you clear across the room from me, we still found a way- as you said, if it's meant to be and if you care enough for someone nothing can stand in your way. And that's all that mattered to me. I've missed you my friend and our time apart was far too long. I'm so over-joyed that you have rejoined the scapping world. I look forward to spending more time with you and I will be coming to Venice soon. Thanks again for taking my class and it works perfectly in your home. Imagine that!

...a picture of my wonderful students with their finished canvases. 


And to all (and those I did not mention), thank you for your support, encouragement, guidance, and words of advice. 


So good to see you, Dee!

Rach and I


Happy Scrapping!

4 comments:

  1. First . . . thank you for finally up-dating your blog my dear, as I check it several times a day!

    Second . . . your class was amazing, loved every bit of it (every minute in fact) the time it took is not important, what is important is the quality & expertise that was shared by you!!! Look at our amazing finished canvases.

    I promise that our next event you and I will be right next to each other. I love you as if you were my own daughter. You are an amazing young woman.

    We have had a couple meetings regarding our fund-raiser "Cause for the Paws" email me as to what part you would like to par-take in besides your amazing teaching.

    Love you sweetheart, and remember you are welcome here anytime! My room is ready and awaiting your incredible talent.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a wonderful class and I am so very proud of you for taking the plunge. You are truly a talent and a force to be reckoned with. I am in awe.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie!! You taught your first class!! Wonderful! Looks like it was a huge success and that you have a very supportive group of fellow scrapbookers. Glad you took the plunge. Hope you decide to continue to share your amazing talent. You are a gem and it's lovely to see you shine! Love Ya! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amanda! That is a fabulous, creative piece of art you put together! I am so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete