Sunday, September 5, 2010

ruff-ruff.

This summer, I made the decision that I wanted a puppy. This wasn't a new or sudden revelation. I had to leave my yorkie, Chloe, in Florida with my parents. She is 14 years old, and I knew her soul couldn't take the move. I miss her everyday. With my move away from home, I knew I wanted to get a dog soon after I settled in my new place. My sister suggested I wait 6 months. By then, I would have a fairly regular schedule, which is important for puppies-routines and consistency. I agreed. A year passed, and still, no puppy. The delay was mainly due to my parents not supporting the idea of me getting a puppy. In their mind, I wasn't ready, for a number of reasons. After a great deal of thought and ongoing research, I decided that since I would be the one to take care of the puppy, I was going to determine when I would get the puppy. After all, I will be responsible for her, emotionally, physically, and financially (including the initial cost of the puppy). So I took the plunge. For the past month and a half, I have been reading about puppies, surfing the web, and researching breeders in the Jersey and Pennsylvania area. I plan to get a female, yorkshire terrier. It will be harder than I thought though. As it turns out, (of course) female puppies are more difficult to find as litters usually consist of more males. I hope to have the puppy by the end of December, just in time for a visit from my parents for the Christmas holidays. Dad is coming for a week, and my mom will be staying with me for about a month. Mom is looking forward to filling the role of "nanny" (as she says) to my puppy. The puppy will be a "winter puppy" so sweaters and fur-lined boots for in the snow will be a necessity. I haven't even found her yet, and she already is a fashionista in the making.
Chloe's first trip to the beach, 2009

6 comments:

  1. You are going to be a great mom to your new puppy-girl! You gotta post the boots pic! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sxciting! She is going to be one lucky pup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm and why the heck wouldn't she be a fashionista puppy? seriously, I would xpect NOTHING else.
    does she have a name?? can't wait to hear. we got sad news today in the puppy dept. so I am glad to read some that makes me smile.
    Luv you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I wish you luck with the new addition to your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will make one tee-tiny suggestion from a small dog owner who had to learn how to contend with small dogs in snow. Set up an indoor "winter potty". I purchased a PET playpen that has a zip-front door. The manufacturer was Jeep and I LOVE that thing. I set it up in a corner of the bedroom and line it with potty pads (a necessary training tool!) and that way if the snow is too deep or WAY to cold for these little guys, I just zip 'em in the winter potty until they are done! Then when I'm away or we are sleeping, just un-zip the door and they will go in and use it! Very wonderful purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, thanks for the suggestion! I definitely plan to stock up on puppy training pads, especially for those times the snow makes it impossible for potty time outside. They will also be necessary for when I leave her in my kitchen since I don't plan to leave her in her crate on days I have to work. Too much confinement for when she's alone more than 3-4 hours.

    ReplyDelete